President's Charity 

Help us raise funds to support nursing and improve patient care in Bangladesh 

The RCN Foundation has partnered with the Impact Foundation to improve patient care in Bangladesh by fully funding the training of two student nurses. The Impact Foundation works in 11 developing countries which focus on building the in-country workforce with the goal of reducing the need for overseas assistance. The project is the recipient of funding from the President’s Charity, set up by current RCN President Cecilia Anim to support global health initiatives. Cecilia’s tireless fundraising efforts during her presidency has meant that the project is almost fully funded. 

There is a critical shortage of nurses in Bangladesh. Fewer than 40% of Bangladeshis have access to primary healthcare other than immunisation, and illness and disability flourish as a result.  Women and children are particularly at risk due to the shortage of nurses. This contributes, among other things, to higher infant and maternal mortality and morbidity rates.  The fewest nurses can be found in rural areas since career opportunities are better in cities.

In response to this desperate situation, IMPACT Foundation Bangladesh has established a dedicated Nursing Institute attached to its hospital in Meherpur, which is the only facility of its kind in south-west Bangladesh.   In addition to training more nurses, the project has the added benefit of giving academic girls from very poor backgrounds the opportunity to develop a career rather than face early marriage or domestic servitude.  

Each student is selected from some of the poorest communities and undertakes a three year course in nursing. Once the students graduate they work within the hospital for one year. After this year 25% of the students are employed within the hospital, the remaining 75% are assisted to find nursing work elsewhere in the country.

It costs only £5,400 to train and support one nurse for the full three years of the course. We are asking you to dig deep and support this wonderful project. 

Any donation you can give, no matter how large or small, will make a direct and lasting difference to some of the poorest communities in the world.

So please donate what you can here and help us reach our target

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/rcnpresident

Thank you so much for your generosity!